Red lentil dhal with mango and coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups leeks chopped
- 2 cups sweet potatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup mango chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked tofu chopped
- thumb-sized ginger minced
- 1 cup red lentils approx. 250g
- 4 cups water
- 100 g coconut cream the thickened coconut cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2-3 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/3 teaspoon coriander powder
- ginger powder optional
Rinse red lentils well and let them drain thoroughly.
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks, sweet potato, carrots, mango, smoked tofu and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes.
Now add red lentils and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Season with a little salt, add coriander powder and turmeric.
Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for approx. 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. After about 10 minutes into cooking add coconut cream and stir well.
Check the seasonings and add more salt and spices if needed.
Serve in a bowl and top with roasted sweet potatoes, sautéed collard greens, parsley, red cabbage…